Forum talk #3
to recap from our recent anniversary post: we’ve settled on a new forum software. i personally picked about 7 softwares that hit all the points asked for by people who took our survey, tossed out some of the less good ones, and then had everyone else test the remaineder for usability and give their thoughts too.
we decided to go with myBB. it was pretty neck and neck between that and xenforo, so we chose the one that didn’t cost $150 (though we deeply appreciate the multiple people who suggested it as an option and said they’d donate to cover costs - it wasn’t even in the running until so many of you did that i felt like i had to give it a chance :v)
as for archiving, discussions on the Discord server have tenatively landed us on both
- remaking ontopic threads and inviting people who participated on the old forum to repost (with disclaimers and dates) or redo their answers, and
- creating a browsable text archive of the ontopic threads (probably with redactions for people who want to maintain their privacy, we’re still talking abt how to handle that part in the server)
if you have any questions, concerns or better solutions, please let us know! because if there aren’t any major objections come, say, the end of the week, i will be going ahead with this and remaking the forum. i’m setting early november as my goal for that. i think this should give me enough time to:
- write a script to pull all the relevant threads from the old forum for archiving
- send an email out to everyone who participated in those threads asking for their consent to be archived or else what they want redacted
- configure the new forum: set up the board structure, set privacy and email settings, do some basic theming, yada yada
- delete all the stupid bullshit we posted while we were testing it
- move it from the super secret staging url to forum.alt-h.net
thank you for your continued patience and support here. we’re looking forward to reintroducing you to the forum very soon!
Posted 2020-10-12 21:00:42 GMT